"Growing the Beaches"
why are the beaches disappearing?
the dynamic equilibrium of the shoreline has been upset by:
- altered sand supply
- coastal construction
- rising sea levels
- river channelization
- beach is unable to adjust SHAPE to changing conditions
- sand SUPPLY is changed
- sand contribution from erodible coast is lost
- sand is lost offshore
- loss of dunes
- dunes are an important “reserve” SUPPLY of sand
The saga of a seawall
- at least one foot per century since the last ice age
- future effects of global warming may increase this rate